Basic Allowance for Housing – BAH for 2018
The Basic Allowance for Housing will see an increase by 0.7%. It offers much reprieve from the previous proposal of a 2.9% increase. The average increase will differ moderately depending on area but has been determined to include a $10 per month increase.
The BAH is a program which focuses on the provision of government quarters or funding when housing is unavailable.
- The program originated in 1878.
- BAH is not taxable and increases with professional rank.
- The BAH is determined by location and whether dependents are available.
- For active duty military men and women based in the US who do not have government housing, will be eligible for such programs.
- Married couples with a child, the higher-ranking spouse will receive the BAH benefits with dependents while the other partner will receive BAH without dependents.